Friday, August 17, 2012

Editing: a living hell





Editing is hell.  Truly if there were an area of this project I wish I could pay someone to do... this is it.  As an update - the first 3 minutes are roughly edited.  It looks *amazing*.

The music is fitting well despite the fact that I recorded it over a decade ago.  I do have to clean it up a bit before its ready to be locked in.  And the voice over is going to be re-recorded and synced better.  Despite the paralyzing tedium I must say that it is rewarding to watch this thing come together.  

One of the things I've had to learn is how to slow down.  To say that the first edit was "crammed" is like saying my man cave has a bit of a layout problem.  That "crammed" edit didn't fit the script, the feel, or what we'll call my "vision" (but honestly I want to barf when I use that word).  None of the imagery lasted more than a few seconds and it felt, honestly, like I was editing like Michael Bay.  Anyone that knows me knows that Bay makes me want to stab my eyeballs out with my own teeth.  Something had to change.

Then I decided, on a whim, to cut a trailer.  In doing so (all 15 minutes it took to pick "Tiller's Pre" as the song I would use, throw in footage I hadn't even considered before, and send the thing to Vimeo) I solved the problem.  The new cut is literally EXACTLY what I had in mind.  A decade's old song, a frustrating morning, and a desire to surge on with the the project... that's all it took.  I have shown that first 3 minutes to a few people and their general take on it is what I was gong for.

It feels like the script.  

It feels like the narrator.  

It feels like Somnolence.

Luckily I don't know what I'm doing on TWO monitors
Everyone knows that 20lbs of rig should be raised as high as possible in a high-traffic area of the house.
Have I mentioned how much I love Magic Lantern firmware?

No comments:

Post a Comment