Friday, August 17, 2012

Introduction

Howdy and welcome to Wide Open: A Film Blog.  As some of you know, making a film of any length at all is a massive undertaking.  In recent years the task has become certainly less expensive but no less demanding technically.

My name is Adam Schaefer and I'm a film maker.  That sounds odd.  I'm not sure I even agree with it.  I'm attempting film making.

I am rather particular, as my wife can tell you, but only about random things.  So reconciling the technical demands of making even my very first short film with my own need for very specific things to function a certain way is proving a challenge.  This is all new to me, in a way.  To be sure I have mounds of experience behind a camera.  A still, 35mm film camera.  I would consider the cinematography portion to be my strongest skill, as it were.  Everything else (and the "everything else" is 99% of a film) is where I am flailing almost blindly.

There are plenty of online sources.  Some are useless other are invaluable.  Learning the basics of a low budget DSLR-based shoot is simple.  Applying those basics to your own equipment and experience is another thing entirely.

So what is this blog for?  To share the insanity that is trying to complete something that will "look" simple but isn't.

This first short film is called "Somnolence".  And here is its trailer.

Somnolence: Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment